Friday, February 16, 2007

Congress Argues the Iraq Resolution

Over the last few days I have been listening to both sides of the aisle argue the pros and cons of the non binding congressional resolution against the Iraq troop surge. In evaluating the Republican talking points I have come to the conclusion that these knuckleheads have nothing left to work with. Their arguments have become so pathetically weak that I almost feel sorry for them.

My favorite Republican argument is that we must support the Presidents plan because no one else has any plan at all. Lets try out their argument. If you and I are stranded on a mountain in a blizzard and it seems likely that we will die if not rescued, then you come up with a plan in which we will leap over the side of the mountain to our deaths to avoid freezing to death. I must support that plan if I don't have an immediate plan to offer. Isn't the flaw in this argument pretty obvious here?
The President has come up with numerous plans, all which have proven to be flawed and produced horrific unintended consequences. Furthermore I have heard several plans from Democrats and Republicans alike which call for withdrawal in some form. There was also the Baker Hamilton Group's plan which ended with a phased withdrawal. Of course these facts in no way impede the GOP faithful from repeating the lie that there is no other plan.

Repeating a lie does not make it any more true.

Meanwhile, the stream of refugees from war torn Iraq is starting to overwhelm its neighboring countries.

No comments: